I don’t know about you but I L-I-V-E in postpartum leggings (honestly any kind of leggings that I can get my hands on – Ha!)!
I mean why not?
You get the best of both worlds! They are easy, comfy, and stylish. You can pair them with just about anything . . . a nursing tank, t-shirt, tank, jean jacket, loose-fitting top and that’s just to name a few ways.
After baby arrives our worlds are turned upside down after coming home with the baby. Our bodies are different, we are sleep-deprived, we now have a tiny little baby boss to attend to, while some of us also have to care for our other kid(s) and then probably are too tired to care much about anything else.
Why do moms wear leggings?
Any kind of leggings are a must-have for any mom’s wardrobe. They are super easy to dress and extremely comfy!
Having a few good pairs of postpartum leggings that provide support, easy to dress, and comfortable is an absolute must!
Are you a plus-size mom?
Being a plus-size mom myself, I always find it challenging to find great options that fit curvy moms so I wanted to be sure this post is plus-size friendly.
Whether you’re a plus-size mom or not, this is the ultimate list of postpartum leggings for you!
Are you expecting? . . . Save this for later!
How long does it take for the stomach to shrink after pregnancy?
After having a baby your uterus will take 6-8 weeks to go back to its natural size & shape. Until it does, you’ll want to wear clothing that’s gonna be comfortable and also provide support when possible.
What do postpartum leggings do?
If you are looking to achieve the following, then this list of the top best postpartum leggings is for you:
- High-waisted – figure flattering & most comfortable because it sits above your belly – not on it or below it.
- Provides support – which helps with your core.
- Help hide and secure your post-baby belly – your postpartum belly can become much softer and loose during the recovery period. Being able to wear leggings that help hold it all together is a plus!
- Enhance confidence – helps you feel good and look more like your pre-pregnancy yourself.
- Create a sleek look – helps smooth your hips, lower back, and thighs.
Are postpartum leggings necessary?
They aren’t necessary however they will help with the recovery period. Keep in mind that you should consider leggings that fit well, not just leggings labeled as “postpartum leggings”.
. . . That’s what postpartum leggings do – they are an absolute must-have!
Looking for a speedy postpartum recovery? . . . Save this for later!
Things to Consider When Deciding Which Postpartum Leggings Are Best For You
- Fabric – will vary according to the brand. If the fabric is on the thinner side, it’s possible your panties will be seen (which you don’t want). Leggings on the thicker side provide the most coverage and support. I personally prefer thick fabric – it makes me look and feel great! Most popular fabrics are: lycra, spandex, polyester, wool, cotton, silk, etc.
- Length – this will be based on your preference. You can opt for shorts, calf-length/capris, ankle length.
- Jeggings – these are a cross between leggings and jeans. They come in all different types of fabrics like stretchy denim, faux leather, and many patterns/colors.
- Compression support – some postpartum leggings are made with compression fabric.
- Cost – can range from $10-$100 (and beyond). It really depends on what you’re looking to achieve and your budget.
- What will you be doing in your postpartum leggings? If you’re just gonna be lounging and maybe going to doctor’s appointments you might prefer these.
- Did you have a vaginal delivery or c-section? This matters because the healing and recovery period is different. Moms that have a c-section are encouraged to be very careful of your insicion. See your doctor for questions.
- Do the leggings stay up? This is something a lot of us struggle with when wearing any kind of leggings (and/or a saggy crotch – which no one wants!).
- Sizing – Are you wondering, “What size maternity leggings should I buy?” Be mindful of the correct size to buy. Since each brand is different, take a look at the size guideline. You want to buy your pre-pregnancy size.
Are you expecting? . . . Save this for later!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I’ve recommended – at no extra cost to you, of course. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure here.
What’s the difference between maternity leggings and postpartum leggings?
So, you may have not realized it before now but there IS a difference. Maternity leggings are worn while you’re pregnant. Maternity leggings are great for providing support for your baby bump. For the ones of us that don’t have a perfectly round baby bump, maternity leggings will also help round out a b-shaped and/or apron bellies.
What are the best postpartum leggings?
So, we’ve discussed what postpartum leggings are, why you should wear them, and what to look for when it’s time to pick the perfect pair. Now let’s dive in . . .
Do compression leggings help postpartum?
Compressing your belly after having a baby provides extra support. The extra support helps your body get back to its original state faster. You can also consider a postpartum belly band. These are popular in the mom tribe!!
How can I look cute & put together after giving birth?
- Stay hydrated – Drink lots of water and use your favorite moisturizer to keep your body hydrated from the inside out.
- Make “healthier” food choices – Did you notice I didn’t say ‘eat healthy’, right? That’s because everyone’s lifestyle is so different. You may not be at a place right now where you want to eat completely healthy but everyone can make some healthier choices. That might mean eating a smaller portion, opting for something to drink other than a soda (which I struggle with), choosing something grilled over fried, etc.
- Invest in quality undergarments – Having a good nursing bra and good-fitting panties is a game changer! If you’re gonna be breastfeeding, you will want a couple go-tos. This hands-free nursing bra is what I use. If you will be healing from a c-section, then having high waisted panties are a must.
- Get a hairstyle that doesn’t take much effort to maintain – If you’re wearing your natural hair, stock up on dry shampoo.
- Wear comfortable and easy clothing –
- Get moving – as soon as you feel up to it, start taking walks. It doesn’t have to be a lot, even a 15-20 minute walk around your neighborhood can make a big difference.
- Create a space that’s calming & relaxing within your home . . . And use it! – I’m a true believer in having your own little piece of “our time”. Moms need a break too, right?!?!
Other posts that may be helpful:
- Top Best 15 Plus Size Maternity Dresses
- Best Baby Formula for Constipation, Colic, and/or Gassy Babies
- How to Setup & Organize Your Much Needed Diaper Changing, Pumping and Breastfeeding Station
- The Ultimate Printable Hospital Bag Checklist for Mom, Baby & Dad. . . Everything that you’ll ACTUALLY need (For real for real)!
Can you wear leggings after giving birth? Absolutely however it varies according to what type of birth took place.
How soon can you wear compression leggings after birth? For a vaginal birth, leggings can be worn immediately. For c-sections, it’s advised that the incision area should be at least
Do compression leggings help after having a C-section?
If you’re ok with a sewing machine and/or a serger, you can see your own postpartum leggings. Here’s a video showing you how.
Side note: If you’re ok with a sewing machine and/or a serger, you can sew your own postpartum leggings. Here’s a quick and easy sewing pattern.
Having a good pair of postpartum leggings will help in your recovery and allow you to stay cute & comfy (during a very challenging time). Don’t forget that you want a good fit based on what you want and they don’t have to be labeled ‘postpartum leggings’ in order to be a great option.
I’d love to hear from you . . . Leave a comment below and let me know which is your favorite.